Wednesday, October 5, 2011

al-Shaheed (Martyr)


This is one mural in a series titled The Martyr Murals. The series is the brainchild of artist Ganzeer (aka Mohamed Fahmy). In his words, "The goal [of the project] is to, on the one hand, honor the martyrs, and on the other hand provide passers-by with a reminder of Egypt's struggle for freedom, democracy, and equality."
Every mural in the series has the word "al Shaheed" (martyr), the person's name, age and occupation. This is Seif Allah Mustafa. He was 16 years old and he was a student.

There used to be a Martyr Mural near a favorite juice shop of mine in Midan Falaki, but unfortunately I was never able to see it because it was painted over in late April. (The mural itself was only painted in March so it was only up for about a month).


Ganzeer has his own blog
http://ganzeer.blogspot.com/2011/03/martyr-murals-project.html

Ganzeer also created a google map to map street art in Cairo. The map, of course, couldn't and doesn't include all of Cairo's street art . While I think the map is a great idea, there's so much street art in Cairo-- you can turn a corner and find something interesting-- that I'm not sure how effective the map is. Some of the tags do have pictures (although many don't) which is helpful if you are looking for a specific peace of art.
-I am going to tag all of my posts with the neighboorhood where the street art work from that post is.
-I will also provide a location (street/ landmark), in case any of you are in Cairo!
-I will also tag the name of the street artist (if known).
-If the street art is a stencil or part of a series, I will tag it as well.
-I will include the date of when the photos were taken, all photos that I post are my photographs.
http://ganzeer.com/cairostreetart/index.html


This mural is in downtown Cairo, on 26 July St. (a major street), in front of the Dar Al Qada' (the Supreme Court). This photo was taken on September 9th, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment