Wednesday, November 2, 2011

RGB


RGB Project is an exhibit at the Townhouse Gallery.
The exhibit consists of a live-stream video projection of an artist at work.



Above is a still of the live-stream video feed in which an artist is busy at work. I could both see & hear the artist, but it was unclear if she could see & hear me. I don't think she could see me, however, because she didn't seem more distracted after I walked into the room. She continued to work and then took a break for a cigarette.
I viewed the exhibit at 9pm. In Cairo it is dark outside at 9pm and as her windows show, it is dark wherever she is as well.


While I have by-chance seen street art in-process, it is not common (except for during large demonstrations). Street artists work quickly and quietly. They often use stencils, their work taking on a uniform process. If, as the Project's description states, "RGB is concerned with performance and self-consciousness" surronding "authenticity," is it necessary to witness artwork being created in order for it to be deemed authentic?
Street artists don't need a live-stream video feed, there is always the chance of an unsuspecting witness turning the corner. The authenticity of street art is not how it was done, but whether it is there or not-- whether the artists braved the threat of that unsuspecting witness being the police.


As a friend & I were discussing the exhibit, a security guard came in and politely asked us to leave. The Gallery, he said, was closing.
As I walked into the warm October night, I was greeted with street art at each corner I turned. The streets of Cairo never close and I am a witness to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment